I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny. -- Coco Chanel

Sunday 15 May 2011

Go Dotty This Summer!

For my Styling Asssignment we were asked to produce six photographs to create a fashion spread for a magazine. Because of my love for the 50's, I decided to style a 50's inspired pin-up photo shoot and my location would be the beach- taking inspiration from the gorgeous Marilyn Monroe's beach shoot back in the 50's.

I was lucky enough to have a gorgeous friend who has the perfect pin-up body and with a touch of make-up, curling and some 50's clothes and accessories could be transformed into the perfect pin-up...

So once I had found my model and decided on the setting, props and clothes I was all set to plan the date for the shoot.

The day before the shoot I had to prepare one of the most important props: The Pop Cakes!

Well my mum actually baked the Pop Cakes, but I iced and decorated them. I iced them in red icing and decorated them in tiny white flowers.

Obviously I couldn't not try one before I used them in my shoot...they were amazing! A moist chocolate brownie on a stick covered in white chocolate flavoured icing- So nice!

The day of the photo shoot was perfect with blue skys. I took so many photos and it was so hard to decide on the final 6, but these are the ones I felt conveyed 50's glamour and fun at it's best.

Be as pretty as a pin-up this summer and flaunt your curves in a cute polka dot bikini and matching umbrella to shade yourself. For seaside glamour, take inspiration from 50’s tailoring and why not bake some Pop Cakes to take with you- a delicious and chic new treat for a picnic...















words, styling and photography: Emily Carroll

What do you think of 50's inspired fashion this summer? Also, have you tried Pop Cakes yet?
:)

3 comments:

  1. Aaah I still love this shoot (: I really want another 50's style skirt! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh i'm loving the red 1950's retro swimsuit and umbrella! Took a minute to look around and u have a really cool site here so I added you thru Google Friend Connect..maybe we can follow each other? I just started my blog 4 months ago about travel and design and I would appreciate the support so, so much!.. I want to make it a place where people can come for inspiration and escape. Please come visit soon and hopefully you like it enough to follow along also :-)
    Thank you and have a beautiful day!
    Hope you come back to blog some more soon too!

    Hugs from NYC
    TravelDesignery.com

    .

    ReplyDelete